Firework Safety for the Fourth of July
With the Fourth of July just around the corner, you may have already planned your celebrations. Before you start up the barbecue and invite your friends over for a party, it may be a good idea to remind yourself of some basic firework safety precautions. Fireworks can be great fun but they can also be dangerous and a serious fire risk if not handled carefully. Help avoid an injury, fire and a claim on your CA homeowners insurance by following a few firework safety procedures this Fourth of July.
• Keep fireworks away from children. In the event that you do give your children sparklers to play with, make sure they hold them away from their body and any long hair is tied back.
• Never carry fireworks in your pocket – the friction of them rubbing on clothing or each other could be enough to set them off.
• Always keep a bucket of water and a hose handy when you are lighting fireworks in your backyard.
• Never return to a firework which has not ignited or attempt to relight it.
• Keep fireworks stored in a clean, dry place out of the reach of children and away from animals.
• Never point fireworks towards people, other homes or potential sources of ignition, such as trees and shrubs.
Before lighting fireworks in your backyard it is a good idea to carefully consider the safety risks. Going to an organized event can mean a safer, more enjoyable experience for everyone and less chance of your celebrations ending in a fire and a CA homeowners insurance claim.